Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:28:18 +0100
From:      draco <draco@atari.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3 and CD/DVD ROM

Hello!

I am using FreeBSD on my laptop as a desktop OS. I am quite pleased by
its - the FreeBSD's - general reliability. I was using 5.2.1 previously
too, I've upgraded to 5.3-STABLE in the middle of the December 2004.

Few days later I noticed that I cannot mount any of my CD ROMs anymore.
When I do:

#mount -t cd9600 /dev/acd0 /mnt/cdrom

there drive spins up, its LED gets on, and ... nothing happens for some
time. Simultaneously I can observe messages on the console such as:

acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG timed out

(yes, seven times), and then the mount commands answers

"cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error"

Here's the drive name as returned by dmesg:

acd0: CDRW <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212/1314> at ata1-master UDMA33

Here's the sysctl settings for ATA:

hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

Here's the atacontrol "list" output for channel 1:

ATA channel 1:
     Master: acd0 <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212/1314> ATA/ATAPI revision 5
     Slave:       no device present

Here's the atacontrol "mode" output for channel 1:

Master = UDMA33
Slave  = BIOSPIO

The machine is Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151.

I am using a custom kernel, but the generic kernel distributed on the
bootable ISO image had exactly the same problem, when it came do acd0
initialization. In my kernel config file I have:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

The CD-ROMs I am trying to mount are:

1) burned (yes, I read this list's archive before asking the question);

2) these are data CD's with ISO filesystem on them;

3) these CDs are burned properly (Windows XP on the same machine has no
problem mounting them; more over, FreeBSD 5.2.1 running on the same
machine had no problem mounting them);

What can I do to get the drive working?

Thanks,
KMK