Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:21:50 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -pipe switch in kernel compilation

On 11/01 07:39, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Where 4 MB isn't sufficient anymore with a GENERIC kernel.  You need at least
> 6 MB or so to boot, then compile a custom kernel and then, if you are lucky,
> can perhaps run with 4 MB.

Here are the two constituent process of a compilation spotted earlier today:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 1897 root      31   0  4224K  4096K STOP   1   0:04 13.32%  7.91% cc1
 1898 root      -6   0  1616K  1216K STOP   0   0:00  0.00%  0.00% as

So it looks like a round 6M is required for a '-pipe' enabled compilation.
Thank heavens for lower memory prices! :-)

> But that information is about 1-2 years old, don't know, if we perhaps
> already need 6-8 MB nowadays...  Though it's zillions better than M$ crap.

Absolutely.  My computer is a free software-only zone. :-)

best;

gjvc

--
[gjvc]