Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:59:22 -0800
From:      Desmond Lee <jenson@attcanada.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   x-windows not working

Hi there

I'm a newbie and have successfully installed freed bsd 4.2, but am having
problems with getting the graphical component running

I'm pretty sure that my video card (ati rage fury pro with tv out) is
compatible since the configuration tool used in the free bsd installation
worked perfect.

The only problem is that when it tries to start the x-server ( i think
that's the graphical component part of bsd, like x-window right? ), it
stalls and doesn't t go anywhere. To stop this i have to reboot and the
configuration is left undone.

I have no idea why this is. I think it may have to do with some of the
files that couldn't get copied over  during installation. In particular,
the x1k98, x9set and a bunch of the pc98-servers/ files couldn't get
transferred over during installation.

If anyone could help me with this problem that would be great, 'cause I've
wanted to get up and running w/ free bsd for sooooooo long, but am having
so much difficulty.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Desmond Lee