Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:15:16 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Artem Kim <artem_kim@inbox.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2-PRERELEASE X-server hang in "drmwtq"

--=-ULmA3AGwpHvbIWJny4M3

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 20:37 +0400, Artem Kim wrote:
> On Saturday 25 April 2009 19:18:43 Robert Noland wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 16:24 +0400, Artem Kim wrote:
> > > I checked 7.2 RC2 problem still here.
> > >
> > > I found a way to reproduce the problem easily.
> > >
> > > I used KDE 4.2.2 composite manager is enabled. The problem occurs whe=
> > > two applications run in a way that their window to appear at the same
> > > time.
> >
> > Ok, luckily I don't think that KDE is important... compositing might be=
.
> > Can you give a more complete example of how to trigger the hang?  I
> > don't have any r300 based cards handy right now.  AMD is sending them
> > though, so it shouldn't be long...
> >
> > > I can reproduce the problem on the cards Radeon 9800 XT (AMD64 UP) an=
d=20
> > > Radeon X550 (AMD64 SMP).
> >
> > Are these AGP or PCI(e)?
> >
> > robert.
>=20
> =09
> I'm using KDE 4.2.2 as a test.
>=20
> The problem occurs only if the composite manager is enabled.
>=20
> The problem occurs spontaneously when the new window is created.
>=20
> A reliable way to reproduce the problem - run concurrently
> several applications that create new windows. Typically, a window appears=
 on=20
> the screen with some delay after starting the application.
> Time delays occur (drawing) of a new window depending on the application.
>=20
> The problem occurs if one or more applications have opened new windows
> (the window starts to draw on the screen) at about the same time.
> You can run fast (this is important) one after another "Konqueror", "Syst=
em=20
> Settings", "File Manager", it is enough to reproduce the problem.
>=20
> The problem looks like this:
> X-server in "drmwtq" state.
> The screen freezes or just turns off.
> The keyboard sometimes works, sometimes not.
>=20
> I used a 9800 AGP at the UP and X550 PCI-E to the SMP AMD64 system.

Ok, so my test is under gnome with metacity in composite mode.  Using
zsh (I think bash can do this also)

balrog% for ((i=3D0 ; i < 5 ; i++ )) do firefox &;done

So, I've launched 5 firefox and 10 xterms... Neither produce the hang.
Sitting in drmwtq means that you are waiting on the rendering engine to
catch up and send you an interrupt.  Probably the best debugging that we
are going to get is by:

booting the system without starting X, kldload radeon and then set
sysctl hw.dri.0.debug=3D1 and start X/KDE... trigger the lockup and send
me the output of the debugging from /var/log/messages.

robert.

--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD