Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:26:19 +0400
From:      Alex Kapranoff <kappa@antar.bryansk.ru>
To:        Volker Stolz <stolz@I2.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What to do to debug a hang on a 4.1.1-STABLE system?

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 01:43:10PM +0400, Alex Kapranoff wrote:
> > We have a 4.1.1-STABLE system (rebuilt ten days ago) as our web-server
> > and X workstation. In recent 12 days we had four total hangs.
> > Consoles and network lock till cold reboot. Three of four times I was
> > running X and just surfing. Then mouse freezes and ka-boom happens.
> > No pings, no keyboard blinkenlights, nothing.
>
> Hm. Are you running xdm or did the machine really freeze without X?

  Yes, it froze late at night several times. Accroding to last(1)
output there were several ftp sessions and nobody at the consoles.

> I'd try eliminating X as the reason, and then check for bad RAM.

  Eliminating X is hard but we'll try. As for the RAM, the machine
survives pretty good loads really. I can't think of box with a bad RAM
going smoothly through 'make -j16 buildworld'.

  Besides, the crashes are relatively rare - once or twice a week.

> Another one that bit me last time was compiling a kernel with
> ATAPI-DMA. An access to an IDE CDRW would freeze the machine, too.

  We don't have this option in the kernel config.

--
Alex Kapranoff,
+7(0832)791845