Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:13:20 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        portmgr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, nakai@FreeBSD.org, dr@domix.de, demon@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org, mi@aldan.algebra.com, ijliao@FreeBSD.org, andreas@FreeBSD.org, roman@xpert.com, greg@hewgill.com, jedgar@FreeBSD.org, jmz@FreeBSD.org, samy@goldmoon.org, dirk@FreeBSD.org, kanou@mil.allnet.ne.jp
Subject:   Re: Introducing USE_BZIP2{CMD,LIB,RUN} and BZIP2BASE

Akinori MUSHA wrote:

> Hello, maintainers and portmgr's,
>
> Now that bzip2 is part of our base on 4-STABLE and 5-CURRENT, I'd like
> to commit the attached changes to introduce the following variables
> and get rid of unneeded dependencies on archivers/bzip2 from the ports
> that depend on bzip2:
>
>   USE_BZIP2CMD  - Says that the port uses the bzip2 command for building.
>   USE_BZIP2LIB  - Says that the port uses the bzip2 shared library for
>                   building and running.
>   USE_BZIP2RUN  - Says that the port uses the bzip2 command for running.
>   BZIP2BASE     - Prefix where bzip2 is installed.
>
> And USE_BZIP2 is changed to imply USE_BZIP2CMD.
>
> Any objections?

It can be done simpler than that. Just turn archivers/bzip2 into a stub port if the system already has shared library and
executable installed in the /usr/bin /usr/lib, i.e. teach it to not build anything in this case, but just install appropriate
symlinks. We have already too many OSVERSION dependend hacks in bsd.port.mk, so it would be nice to avoid another one.

-Maxim