Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:17:10 -0400
From:      Ultima <ultima1252@gmail.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, Ultima <ultima1252@gmail.com>,  Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere: howto build ports with 'make -j x'?

 Chromium and Libreoffice are two programs that are massive and have the
longest compile times in the ports tree along with eclipse. If the system
only has 2 cpus I would expect those to take at least 4-8 hours minimum. If
they are also building in parallel you can expect that to also increase. My
system takes 40 minutes for Chromium and 50 for Libreoffice, and thats with
jobs=3D40 on 2.0 cores.

Sorry if my comment was confusing, this variable's use-case is better to
limit the amount of jobs per jail on a given system. Enabling
ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=3Dyes will set the makejobs on all jails to maximum amount =
of
cpu's, in you're case 2.

The reason I made my comment, if makejobs > 64 some ports will begin to
fail to build due to too many makejobs. Also, for multiple threaded cpu's
it may increase performance setting it lower when running many jails in
parallel.

> These I do run as single steps each from a shell script

> poudriere bulk -j freebsd-head -p ports-head www/firefox
> poudriere bulk -j freebsd-head -p ports-head www/chromium

It may run faster, but only because they are not building in parallel.