Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:42:37 -0800
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUFreq

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 20:18 +0100, Tomasz Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hello
> I think you don't even need to go 'back' to boot frequency. I suggest using
> powerd(8) to save some power and lower the temperature.
> Put it in /etc/rc.conf :
> powerd_enable="YES"
> powerd_flags="-a adp -m 800"

Making this change and starting powerd put me back to the state where
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 83.0C  # changing 82..85
dev.cpu.0.freq: 2301

I am confused about what side effect modified behavior when I changed
dev.cpu.0.freq initially.  Somehow, this change got the system away from
the boot state.

Since then, I have not seen the state where dev.cpu.0.temperature was in
the low to mid 70's.

When I have dev.cpu.0.freq: 2012, dev.cpu.0.temperature is below 60C.
When I have dev.cpu.0.freq: 2301, dev.cpu.0.temperature is above 80C.
So, the load on the CPU is not the same as when in the boot state.

I don't understand this.

tomdean