Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:14:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Karl fulminates, film at 11. == thanks

> Just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for kicking the freebsd core
> team in the butt for security concerns.  I am not sure your suggestions

Oh dear, yet another person who seems to think that the best way of
getting someone to do you a favor is to force burning splinters under
their fingernails.

Lest someone else be tempted to emulate this unfortunate practice to
get results, let me just be the first to say that "kicking the core
team in the butt" for security reasons (or any other concern) is as
pointless and unkind as slapping your mother for feeding you a meal
you didn't quite like.  Such a technique it might even work once or
twice, leading you to believe that the core team responds well to
having their feet put to the fire, but after that you will have burned
so many bridges that it has no long-term strategic value.

Nobody is ignoring anything here, and no one on the core team fails to
take security seriously.  We were given very *little* opportunity to
respond on this one, and despite what others have claimed, there was
no long-term awareness of this problem or conspiracy of silence.

> I have to admit, when I saw that crt.o had a security hole I was ready
> to dump freebsd and head straight for the nearest linux cd.  I imagine

I have been chastised in the past for saying "fine, go!" so I will not
take that tack here, but I will say that heading straight for the
nearest linux CD is also hardly likely to save you and you're more
than welcome to try it if you feel otherwise.

The people here are working very hard and they are NOT paid for all
the extra hassle that this kind of security scare engenders (most are
not paid to deal with ANY FreeBSD related hassles).  To heap abuse and
scorn on them for something they have given you for free strikes me as
both ungrateful and petty, and I hope to see a lot less of it in the
future or what joy I and others continue to derive from this project
will evaporate and you and others will have killed the golden goose
for its failure to lay eggs fast enough to your liking.

					Jordan