Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:12:16 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh oddity

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 09/04/2021 18:53, doug wrote:
>> I recently had to restore my workstation. As it happened I did not restore
>> the /usr/share/skel files, .history is what my question is about. As you
>> know <esc>p will match commands earlier typed in with the
>
>> pattern on the line. There are a couple of commands I type incessantly.
>
>> <esc>p did not pick these up immediately, but after a while it has
>> "learned" about the commands. However this works it does not seem to be
>
>> via .commands. Does anyone know how tcsh starts "remembering" repeated
>> commands?
>
> ESC-p is a backwards seach of your .history

Thanks Matthew. It seems to me to be a bit more complex than that. On the
re-build system in question <esc>p does not find things grep does in
.history and it did not find a command that I entered until I had
repeatedly enter the command for several days. I do have 10+ xterms open at
any given time. On the older systems repleated <esc>p search for matches
past the first one.

I suppose it might have to do with difference in how concurrent access to
.history is handled. I keep 1,000 lines but because I stay logged into
servers for a very long time the ssh login will have easily rolled off. The
commands however are remembered.

I may have more interaction with tcsh and this because I almost never type
when I can cut & paste or use <esc>p.