Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 1995 02:53:30 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dgy@seagull.rtd.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sed bugs

>No overriding reason..  Our rule of thumb is to take a BSD tool (or
>non GPL'd, at least) if it's equivalent to the GNU tool.  If a GNU
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ if it sort of works
>tool is the only or clearly superior solution, we have no problem with
>adopting it..

Most basic gnu utilities are clearly superior.  I miss having a cp that
preserves symlinks, a mv that works across file systems in all cases,
a `locate' that supports multiple databases, ...

The basic gnu utilities have some problems under 2.0.  They don't
support new features such as file system flags and POSIXish symlinks.

Bruce