Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:36:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD questions

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> > ccdconfig manufactures a disklabel when you create the stripe, so you
> > don't need to adjust the disklabel.  The subdisks must have disklabels,
> > and you can't use the C partition since ccd only uses partitions of type
> > 4.2BSD.
>
> Does that mean I should not use partition c as a 4.2BSD type? This is what
> I am currently doing on all disks (ccd'ed or single) if the whole disk is
> used as one big filesystem, e.g.:

> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 45322644        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 2810*)

I've been admonished for using the c partition as a filesystem since it's
somewhat magic.  For regular disks the running recommendation is to make
another partition (a or g or whatever) that is identical to the c
partition information, and to newfs/mount that.  I personally haven't run
into problems but I've been warned that the c partition interface is
subject to change.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org