Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:17:57 -0800
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: com1 incorrectly associated with ttyd1, com2 with ttyd0

>> On Thursday 17 November 2005 05:03 pm, Joe Rhett wrote:
>>> We can't.  Serial A is a 9pin serial port, and Serial B is the rj45 console
>>> port.  This is how the motherboard is built. We need Serial B to be the
>>> console.
>>>
>>> /boot/device.hints clearly indicates that 3f8 should map to sio1.  Why
>>> isn't it using these hints?

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, John Baldwin wrote:
> > What if you disable ACPI?  I think the ACPI bus doesn't use the port
> > information to honor "wiring" requests but just reads the flags.
>
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, John Baldwin wrote:
> ACPI me harder :-).
>
> If it doesn't match the port info then it probably gets the flags wrong
> too, by applying the flags intended for the port at 0x3f8 (intended unit 0)
> to the port that ends up as unit 0 (0x2f8 here).

Pardon me, what is "it"?   The BIOS or the apci module?

> Console initialization uses the flags to decide the console port(s),
> so swapped flags probably give swapped console ports.

I don't know if this is related, but ACPI also seems to find devices which
are disabled (ie parallel parts, etc) and then complains because it can't
allocate resources for them.

It sounds like ACPI isn't reading the BIOS data correctly at all.  What
debug options can I enable to get more information?

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek