Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 96 10:51:40 -0800
From:      deborah@atm.microunity.com (Deborah Gronke Bennett)
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS install 2.1 - possible bug

After several install tries, I believe I have found a bug in
the 2.1 install method when using NFS. The most annoying thing is
that there is no error notification.

The problem comes about if you are installing over NFS, and you
neglect to create the XF86312 directory in your install image.
(I neglected to do it because the 2.0.5 install worked differently
as I remember). If you choose a distribution which includes
XFree (I chose x-user first, then later just custom->Xfree),
the installation does the requests for the pieces via NFS
(which I saw on the ALT-F2 screen), but when the requests fail,
no indication is printed anywhere, such as on the main install screen.
Now, I know that error indications do work, because I had the
compat1x and compat20 directories missing also, and they were flagged
by such error messages for me.

I did a search on this mailing list on the web server, and as far
as I can tell, this problem has not been reported yet.

Thanks,
-deborah bennett
Deborah Gronke Bennett 	(WD5HJH) 	kernel and device drivers engineer
deborah@microunity.com			(408)-734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Eng., 255 Caspian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1015 USA