Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:14:43 -0800
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-chat)
Subject:   Re: funny repair remark

> > >The AS/400 is unsuited to running C.  It uses a 64 bit pointer,
> > >8 bits of which are a check-value.  This means that running C
> > >code that does pointer arithmatic or array indexing would be
> > >nearly impossible with a free compiler.

Well, sorta  :-)

The machine that uses those pointers is a virtual machine, down deep
under the covers you'll find that the processors are now POWER
architecture, although I don't think the first AS400s were.

Now, none of the "real computer in there" is directly accessible by
customers and not even known by a lot of people outside IBM Rochester.

The AS400 was derived of the System 38, a product of IBM's Advanced
Systems Group.  I remember in the early eighties getting my hands on
an S/38 architecture document that really surprised me;  It was quite a
conventional looking 32-bit processor buried in there with lots of general
purpose registers (32) and a really nifty looking virtual memory
management arrangement.

I also remember a slight sense of deja-Vu some years later studying
Intel's new 386 and wondering about that IBM copyright on top of the
chip  ;-)

> > So do AS/400 programmers use proprietary C compilers or do they write
> > in another language?
>
> Proprietary C compilers.

For the p-machine too, not the native one  :-(

C/400 came out after I swore off working on AS400s.  During the period
I worked on the pre-release AS400 (Silverlake was the code name) we used
Pascal, the p-machine's assembly language PL/MI [machine interface]
and (UGH!) RPG/400.  PL/MI is also what they use for the compiler IR.

I know some business programmer types who *really* know how to do
database apps on these systems.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com