Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:30:06 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Rosa <prosa@pro.sk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: periodic scripts

--A9z/3b/E4MkkD+7G

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:30:05AM +0200, Peter Rosa wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 4.10-REL-p2, cvsup+make world last week. It happened few
> times in last half-year, that server discontinue sending reports from
> "periodics daily". I run it manually and see "ps ax", but the only checks
> are started are those about security. And the only report send is "securi=
ty
> report". The "daily report" is never created. This status will remain unt=
il
> the next update.

> Question - what is causing this; has anybody experience with this; how to
> repair it without "make world" ?

A common cause of this sort of thing is the /var partition filling up
-- if /var is full, then you can't send e-mails because you can't
write the spool files in /var/spool/mqueue or /var/spool/clientmqueue
-- if you're delivering to the same machine, /var/mail will be blocked
as well.

Other than the usual check for rubbish files: old cores, stuff
cluttering up /var/tmp etc. it's a case of hunting for what is hogging
the space and doing something to reduce the usage.  Check /var/crash
-- if you've enabled system core dumps and your system has crashed a
few times, you'll find a number of rather large files in there, which
you probably won't need any more. Look at eg. MySQL databases, which
can grow very quickly if you turn logging on.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way