Date:      22 Sep 1999 12:14:49 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAPERSIZE in /etc/make.conf?

Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

>  * - The package builders end up with packages that are unmarked but
>  *   assume one papersize. Of course, we already have this situation with
>  *   some ports.
>
> No reason to spread the problem to *all* papersize-varying ports. ;>

Does that mean that we have a policy that all ports that compile
in a default paper size should come in explicit -a4 and -letter
versions (still more Ghostscript versions...)? The current situation
where some ports do and some don't, and simply installing a port
without first reading the Makefile, or a port being installed as
a dependency, can make you end up with letter-programs in A4-country
is unsatisfactory.

How about this: Every port that requires the distinction comes in a
base version that requires PAPERSIZE to be set (/etc/make.conf,
environment, etc), plus there are explicit -a4, -letter, etc ports
slaved off it that preset PAPERSIZE. The package building machine
ignores the base port, dependencies from other ports only refer to the
base one. The only disadvantage I see with this: yet more ports.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de