Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:22:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "vizion communication" <vizion@ixpres.com>, "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, "Timothy Luoma" <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Someone on list with latest virus?

On Monday 22 September 2003 08:10 am, vizion communication wrote:
> I agree that a number of people on this list have been
> affected by the virus and it is really helpful of you to
> have posted to the list because those infected are sending
> out huge volumes of emails to some of us on the list.
>
> I would recomend that everyone on this list checks their
> system if it is vulnerable at the earliest opportunity and
> remove the virus from their system. I am receiving over 100
> emails a day from infected systems.

I agree and I am seeing similar quanties of virus infected emails. Since
they are arriving from sites around the world, they have to be people
on the FreeBSD lists. You can't do anything else and write all of their
ISPs.

The problem seem to be that a large number of people are using unpatched
versions of Windows emailers. The fix to prevent infection by something
as simple as previewing an email was made available at Microsoft's
Windows update site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) in 2001.

Anyone with an infected computer can find disinfection instructions and
a "Recovery" program at
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html

Matthew's comment about the infection rate at Symmantec still seems to
be appropriate. I have logged more than 20 sites and I am only doing 1
in 30+ sampling.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart