Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 14:17:18 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.vet.purdue.edu>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86; Where to from here?

> 	any recommendations on an X news reader?  I've been sticking
> pretty much to text one in an xterm (trn) and wonder if I'm missing
> anything :)

nn-tk isn't too bad, but has some rough spots and eats up a lot of memory.  I
used to use it, but it has a few rough spots that were driving me crazy, so
I went back to gnus since emacs is almost always running anyway.

I think that if you are used to a text-based newsreader, you'll probably be
happiest staying with it.  The X based newsreaders just aren't as
sophisticated as the old standards yet.  Plus, all the fooling around with
the mouse and whatnot can drive you crazy if you're used to being able to
do everything without moving your hands from the home row.

nn-tk and Knews are the only two threaded X newsreaders I know of.  Knews
0.9.3 didn't handle using a larger font very gracefully, and completely flaked
out when asked to use a proportional font.  nn-tk beta 12 handled all that ok,
but didn't process all the "article mode" commands correctly.  I wasn't
interested in non-threaded newsreaders, so didn't try any others.  tknews'
README said that threading was in the near future, so you might keep an
eye out for it.

Hope this helps,
	-Ben

--