Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:38:47 +0000
From:      "Wall, Stephen" <swall@redcom.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Crypto overhaul

Be aware that moving away from a crypto library that has a FIPS-approved cr=
ypto core will have a significant impact on commercial users of FreeBSD who=
 do business with U.S. government (and likely some other governments and co=
rporate sectors as well).  BoringSSL is persuing/has persued FIPS validatio=
n, but they offer this warning on their web page:

Although BoringSSL is an open source project, it is not intended for genera=
l use, as OpenSSL is. We don't recommend that third parties depend upon it.=
 Doing so is likely to be frustrating because there are no guarantees of AP=
I or ABI stability.

BearSSL, being a new, small project, is highly unlikely to pursue FIPS cert=
ification.  LibreSSL has deliberately stripped anything FIPS related out of=
 their fork, and the project has stated multiple times that it will not com=
e back.

I am not opposing a change (indeed, consolidating the various crypto source=
s in FreeBSD to single (FIPS-possible) library would be a good thing) , I j=
ust prefer (strongly) that FIPS not be pushed out of the picture.

-spw