Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:28:37 -0400
From:      Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
To:        Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: leading questions for interview?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:39:49AM -0700, Johnson David wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:24 am, Chris Coleman wrote:
> > How about "Why should I use FreeBSD?"  I expect that their audience will
> > all be asking them selves that question.
>
> Or "Why should I use FreeBSD instead of Linux?"

Jeremy Zawodny has some interesting data on using MySQL at Yahoo!.
The FreeBSD boxes were newer, but weren't bogging down anywhere near
as much as the Linux boxes.  The linux boxes were maxed out on RAM, and
had 1GB dedicated to MySQL, and no swap.

Turns out that the Linux VM doesn't like to run without swap, and
running without swap caused a significant difference in performance
(3 orders of magnitude more "slow queries").

He also went on to allude to some issues with FreeBSD's 4.x threading
model, with no data provided yet.

Just another datapoint that monocultures are bad, even with OSes.  :-)

I don't have a URL handy, but it was on Zawodny's blog; Google should
be able to find it.

Z.