Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:18:12 +0100
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: amd64 and -fPIC

--iVCmgExH7+hIHJ1A

Le Lun 20 f=E9v 06 =E0 15:09:44 +0100, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com <pfgshie=
ld-freebsd@yahoo.com>
 =E9crivait=A0:
> Linking static libraries with shared ones is sometimes desirable though.
> CalculiX depends indirectly on math/metis, and Code Aster depends on a
> conflicting package math/metis-edf. CalculiX users are likely to want to =
try
> Code Aster, building a shared metis library will lead to run time depende=
ncies
> and trouble.

Actually this conflict seems easy to pacify:

- I don't think that math/metis-edf is used by anything else: it is
specific to Code_Aster;

- french/aster only depends on math/metis-edf as a RUN_DEPENDS:

  . metis-edf could install libmetis.a under another name (or even not
    install it...);

  . aster only depends on links to metis-edf's binaries, and the origin
    of these links ('onmetis', 'onmetis.exe', 'pmetis', 'kmetis') could
    be installed in a specific directory, like $PREFIX/metis-edf/bin.

Regards,
--=20
Th. Thomas.

--iVCmgExH7+hIHJ1A