Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:33:22 -0500
From:      wpflum@zdial.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Floppy install - ongoing problem

I've been trying to install from floppy to a small system,
386 DX40, 245 meg IDE drive, 8 meg memory, 1 - 1.44 floppy, a vga card and I
get as far as  past setup and drive setup and to media installation and
inserting the first install disk
and after a few seconds I get a "WRITE FAILURE ON TRANSFER (WROTE -1 BYTES
OF 1024 BYTES)".  The debug screen says- DEBUG: REQUEST FOR /DIST/BIN/BIN.AA
FROM FLOPPY ON /DIST, PROBE 0. PID 53 (GUNZIP), UID 0: EXITED ON SIGNAL 11
(CORE DUMPED) /STAND/CPIO: PREMATURE END OF ARCHIVE  The system appears to
read about 50k of floppy and then I get the above error.

I've been told that it could be a memory module problem...  I've changed mem
modules and still get the error I've tried having the drive sectors checked
a number of times.  The mother board has an AMI Bios on it.  Is there any
problems with bios as it relates to FREEBSD??  All I'm trying to do is get a
small Unix system up and running to do some experimenting with???     H E L
P ! ! ! ! !   If the only answer is bad mem modules then can anyone tell me
how I can check them??   I've down loaded a couple of ram test program and
the all say mem if fine????

                    Frustrated in Reading!!!!!!!