Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2020 13:23:46 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Ssh sessions running top keep disconnecting

On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 07:39:44PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2020-Jun-3, at 19:02, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> > For some reason, ssh sessions running top seem to be quitting
> > with
> > packet_write_wait: Connection to 50.1.20.25 port 22: Broken pipe
> >
> > I'm in the habit of leaving an ssh session running top going on
> > machines running long jobs like world or port builds. On my Pi3
> > running 12.1-stable those sessions keep disconnecting. No other
> > ssh sessions, among the four open, seem to be affected.
> >
> > The client is a Pi3b+ running raspberry pi os. It has a dozen
> > or so ssh sessions open, no others are affected.
> >
> > Any ideas what might be going on?
> >

> No clue. But a possible kind of experiment . . .
>
> top keeps its ssh connection in use on a rather
> frequent basis, even if the mount of traffic is
> not large.
>
> Try having some other ssh session into the 12.1
> Stable FreeBSD system that also keeps its ssh
> connection in use on a rather frequent basis.
> Does it get the same issue as the top sessions
> do? (Need not be at the same times but if the
> times were near each other for failures that
> might indicate something.)
>
> Of course, it may be that some of your other ssh
> connections to the same system already do this
> test --or it may be they all rarely put their
> connection to use (compared to top).

In a couple of cases top sessions disconnected as
described while gstat sessions kep running. The
statistics aren't very good on this, with only
three or four cases total and at least one where
no disconnection occurred.

The client machine from which all the sessions are
observed is a Pi3B+ running Raspberry Pi Buster. It's
been found that all ssh sessions are more stable if
there's an ongoing ping -i 10 to the WAP. I don't
see how that would be significant but maybe it is.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska