Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andrej Brodnik (Andy) <brodnik@IBC.IskraSistemi.Si>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overloading my machine?

:Hi there,
:
:I want to put on my machine the following HW (I'll be running
:FBSD-3.2) beside the usual HW (serial and parallel ports etc.):
:
:  - three IDE disks
:  - floppy
:  - IDE CD-ROM
:  - three ep NIC
:  - Adaptec PCI bus SCSI adapter
:
:Now, this is not a lot of  burden (I think) for the processor, but I'm
:a bit  afraid about the  architecture. Will this work?  In particular,
:I'm  worried about the  interrupts. Any  suggestions how  to configure
:them?
:
:Thanx in advance for your assistance!
:
:LPA
:
:PS: Here is dmesg for the current FBSD which doesn't have SCSI adapter
:installed.
:
:FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE #0: Wed Jan 20 13:08:03 MET 1999
:    root@Irena.IskraSistemi.Si:/usr/ports/FreeBSD-src/sys/compile/IRENA
:CPU: Pentium/P54C (166.19-MHz 586-class CPU)
:...

    Well, the burden will not come from the devices but instead will come
    from the load you place on them.  So, the real question should be:  how
    do you intend to use the machine?

    The only hardware recommendation I can make would be to watch out re:
    the IDE disks.  You may not be able to use DMA on all of them and that
    will really take the cpu out for lunch.  SCSI is the better choice there
    if you intend to load the disks down.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>