Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:00:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   19990112-SNAP: no /usr/libexec/ld.so

Making use of a hint from Mike Smith (re: "two-floppy boot"), I tried
upgrading a box here that had been running an older level of -CURRENT to
the 19990112-SNAP.  Died while copying data (I think it was ports) with
a SIGSEGV; no recent corefiles were on the system, and I didn't think it
was worthwhile to try to reproduce the failure.

Since my basic task was to get the machine running that SNAP, and since
there wasn't much critical on the system, I elected to just re-install.

That worked, and I booted (in single-user mode) to edit /etc/rc.conf (to
add in the name of the NIS domain, as well as a couple of other tweaks).
I then created a new kernel config file, and
	config CLEAR
	cd ../../compile/CLEAR
	make depend && make && make install && reboot

which worked OK, but toward the tail end of the boot process, 6 occurrences
of

	Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.

were issued.

Sure enough,
	ls -l /usr/libexec/ld*

yields:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  62872 Jan 13  03:37 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1

On a colleague's 3.0 system, the same command yields:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  62900 Jan  8 19:31 /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  77824 Nov 11 08:16 /usr/libexec/ld.so

It appears that /usr/libexec/ld.so is found, OK... but this colleague
re-builds thinsg fairly often, and that file seems to have merely been
left there, rather than having been built any time in the recent past.

Further, I tried an exhaustive "find" looking for ld.so on the new
system; no such file found anywhere.

As for why the start-up was looking for the file, I suspect that it's an
issue with the contents of /usr/local/etc/rc.d -- which (in the
environment that I inherited here) is mounted from an NFS export from a
(now) FreeBSD-2.2.6-R system.  (Actually, all of /usr/local is thus
mounted.)

And sure enough, if I try to telnet to the system, I get:

pau-amma[37]% telnet clear
Trying 207.76.205.132...
Connected to clear.whistle.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

FreeBSD/i386 (clear.whistle.com) (ttyp0)

login: dhw
Password:
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
reserved.

FreeBSD 3.0.0-19990112-SNAP (CLEAR) #0: Mon Jan 18 16:09:57 PST 1999

Welcome to FreeBSD!

If the doc distribution has been loaded on this machine, the FreeBSD
Handbook will be in file:/usr/share/doc/handbook and the FAQ in
file:/usr/share/doc/FAQ

Type /stand/sysinstall to re-enter the installation and configuration
utility.

No ld.so
Connection closed by foreign host.
pau-amma[38]%

(A telnet as root goes OK (since I whacked /etc/ttys to permit this,
though I realize it's dangerous), so it's likely that my attempted use
of a.out-flavored stuff is a problem.)

I suppose I could copy /usr/libexec/ld.so from a random machine, but
that approach seems to be, at best, inelegant.  Also, I don't look
forward to doing the same to each machine on our (engineering) net.

I welcome suggestions for making this work better (for some arguably
reasonable definition of the term "better").

Thankas,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621