Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:32:56 -0700
From:      Renaud Waldura <renaud@waldura.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating ported software

Dear freebsd-ports,

I'm still confused as to what the Right Method for updating ports is.
I manage to update my "ports" collection just fine, using cvsup,
but I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do from there.

I hope you won't mind my explaining with an example. I first installed
my favorite port "foo" in version 1.0. I did so by installing the
"Ports collection" from sysinstall, going to /usr/ports/tools/foo, and
running "make install". I then have the binary foo in version 1.0 and I'm
happy.

I then updated my ports with cvsup, and now the Makefile for foo says it
is in version 1.1, but the foo binary itself is still in version 1.0. Hence
my first question: is there a way to automatically rebuild updated ports?

OK, so now I want to update foo, the binary. I found this message in
the list archives:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2130511+2132232+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000116.freebsd-questions

that basically says to run:
> 1) make clean       [delete source code]
> 2) make deinstall   [uninstall binary package(s)]
> 3) make install     [build and install from new port]

but after running "make clean", "make deinstall" fails saying it doesn't
find the right version of the port to uninstall. It tries to uninstall
foo version 1.1 using the updated Makefile, when the version of the foo
that is actually installed is 1.0.

"Make install" works just fine and rebuilds & installs the updated port, but
does so by (I'm guessing) overwriting the old version 1.0. My second
question is: how do I uninstall an updated port before rebuilding it?

Thank you very much for shining some light on this issue,

--Renaud