Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:39:02 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats the difference between -STABLE & -RELEASE?

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 07:29:22PM +0000, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> "Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
>
> > To rephrase this:  -STABLE is one of the development tracks (for
> > example, 4-STABLE).  The different -RELEASEs are points along a stable
> > development track after which some testing and quality assurance has
> > been done.
> >
> > The term "4.2-STABLE" refers to the state of FreeBSD 4-STABLE at some
> > time after 4.2-RELEASE, but it doesn't necessary pinpoint any
> > particular snapshot.
>
> In a similar vein - when does 4-STABLE become 5-STABLE?  Is it when
> The Powers That Be decide that -CURRENT is stable enough to make
> a -STABLE branch?

4-STABLE will never become 5-STABLE. It will stay 4-STABLE for the rest of
time.  (Just like 3-STABLE and 2.2-STABLE still exists.)
I guess you meant to ask when 5-CURRENT will branch into 5-STABLE.
The answer to this is, as you guessed, when The Powers That Be decide that
it is stable enough.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson