Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:31:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

[Jacques Vidrine]
> > How does this work on a serial console?  Is it currently possible to
> > install FreeBSD with only a serial console anyway (I haven't tried)?

[Jörg Wunsch]
> Unfortunately not.  I'd really like to see this feature in the next
> generation installer.  I haven't looked at TurboVision yet, but i hope
> it has more of the potential that's required to do this.

Why isn't it possible to run an install over a serial console?  I'm
running a similar application written using libdialog over a serial
console all the time.  I haven't tested with the install floppies, but
can't see any important differences between the systems.

I'm using a hacked 'tip' (allowing 8-bit characters but breaking a lot
of other things) on a FreeBSD console in the other end.

Eivind.