Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:22:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mysterious Extended DOS Partition

I'm not sure whether this is the mailing list of choice to tell about the
problem I observed - but might be!

On a PC with 4 primary partitions (NTFS-OS/2 Boot Manager-FAT-FreeBSD) I
wanted to remove NT and to change its partition to an extended DOS
one (shame on me not to create a FreeBSD partition). I used FreeBSD's
fdisk to change the partition id to 5.

What happened? After rebooting Win 95 seemed to hang but after a couple of
time it detected more then 26 logical DOS drives in that partition
although DOS' fdisk couldn't detect anyone. It was impossible to delete
or use this partition with DOS/W95.

Trying to boot FreeBSD (2.2.2 & 2.2.5-R) even from a floppy gave no help.
The kernel detected more than 32 slices within the extended partition and
died without mercy after scanning the hardware.

Of course I know now(!) that an extended DOS partition contains
information about logical drives which FreeBSD's fdisk doesn't generate.

But may be it would be possible to make the kernel accept more than 32
logical drives - I only wanted to delete the partition entry I made with
FreeBSD !!!

Shame on me once again: To repair the mysterious partition I booted Linux
which was successful and I deleted the partition with the Linux fdisk.

Konrad Heuer, GWEDG, Goettingen, Germany
(kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de)