Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:12:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> types:
> http://www.sco.com/offers/ancient.html
> <rant>BSD is NOT Unix, nor has it been since the AT&T suit.  Unix is a
> trademark, and a BSD variant is not very likely to get rights to use
> it...</rant>

I'd say "BSD can NOT be called Unix". The stuff I used to run under an
AT&T Unix license looks more like FreeBSD than it looks like anything
I know of that it is currently legal to call Unix. You figure Caldera
would lighten up just to get some extra press, but that all seems to
be going to Linux anyway, so I guess Elvis has left the building.

	<mike