Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:00:38 -0800
From:      Mike Lempriere <mike@vintners.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questionable feature- rcvar woes

Here's where I must disagree -- and you just explained why -- "...admin
should be aware of".  Nonsense!  I do not have time in my life to keep
track of every nuance of every version of every OS.  I fell into this
same trap.  Took me a while to figure it out.  That's why I don't have
time to take on other such trivialities!  (It would be interesting to
take a poll to determine how many wasted hours this silly gotcha has
cost the members of this list, but let's not waste the bandwidth.)

The script should be smart enough to know whether the it is being
invoked through bootup/shutdown vs. admin interactive and should behave
appropriately.  If this was hard to do or unreliable, maybe it wouldn't
be worthwhile doing, but it would be so easy to fix; at the crudest
level just pass in an extra parm in the startup/shutdown sequence and
act on that...

--
Mike Lempriere- Home: mike@vintners.net  Phone: 206-780-2146
Cellphone: 206-200-5902;  text pager: mlemp@tmail.com