Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:17:28 -0500
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Horror story

My experience with Ontrack Disk Manager has been that it's only good for
-creating- partitions on the large IDE hard drives, and only FAT partitions
at that.  Even then, it will only allow your primary DOS installation to
recognize those partitions; it won't allow you to boot from them.

Being able to boot from partitions near the end of such a big disk require
BIOS support to remap the drive to fewer cylinders (e.g., LBA mode).  No OS
or utility can work around this limitation.  Check with your motherboard
manufacturer to see if your BIOS is upgradable.  Many modern boards can be
easily flash upgraded with a small download form the manufacturer's web site.

--K.S.

PS -- Some of these utilities restore their special boot sector as their
first activity on startup, which is why it can be difficult to rid your
system of them at times.