Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:30:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Horcicka <horcicka@FreeBSD.CZ>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New homepage

Hi,

it is nice to see the homepage changed (after so long time) but I have a few
questions:

1. Does the page really validate to HTML 3.2? I did not try it but I see
some table with a bgcolor attribute which is not allowed (I think) in 3.2.

2. Would it be possible to shorten the main text column? It is much larger
than the left and right column and it contains nothing but advertising info
and while looking on professional web sites (www.cisco.com, www.sun.com,...)
I think this is not the way homepages are designed today. Maybe, this is the
right time to redesign the homepage more deeply.

3. At least 3/4 of information in the Headlines section (and News Flash page)
is "New committer...". Is it really so exciting to be on homepage? Maybe the
news going to homepage should be a bit filtered and then the Headlines section
should not be so big because of very slow growth of messages per month. There
would be then no need for the third column - the second column would contain
both - headlines and advertising (or other) info.

4. Will be there some "standard" way to create web pages from xml sources in
www/share/mk instead of local Makefiles?

Martin