Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:09:21 +1300
From:      Thomas Munro <munro@ip9.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL package versioning suggestion

On 30 December 2016 at 22:56, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Le 30/12/2016 =C3=A0 01:47, Thomas Munro a =C3=A9crit :
>> Apologies if someone's already addressing these problem, I wasn't sure
>> where to look.
>
> The problem is being addressed starting with 9.6. We cannot fix it for
> the previous versions as it would break everyone's existing setup.

I am very happy to hear that!  Where can I read about that effort?
Hmm.  Did you mean to write 10?  The 9.6 package seems to have the
same problem as the rest of them, with binaries and libraries etc
installed at the traditional paths that mean only one major version
can be installed at a time:

munro@obelix $ pkg list postgresql96-server | grep bin/postgres
/usr/local/bin/postgres