Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:36:30 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

>> >read-only source distributions.  I for one _like_ the direction you're
>> >headed 8)
>>
>>    For what it's worth, I do too. Jordan proposed his solution to this several
>> days ago and I was and am all for it.

>None of us have any problems with fixing up the FreeBSD build system to
>make it possible to achieve Jordan's goals, and each of us is probably
>more than willing to lend a hand where practicable.

Nate confused the issue by arguing against changes in the build system.

>We just disagree that breaking a major design feature of make(1) - a `third
>party' utility shared among BSD systems and ported to other systems so that
>thrird party applications can rely on its functionality - is the way to go
>about it.

Exactly.

I would like to point to breaking documented behaviour of obj.machine,
obj and MAKEOBJDIR, but this behaviour seems to be undocumented.  The
man page only documents the use of MAKEOBJDIR (not what it does) and
the tutorial doesn't mention anything to do with obj directories (not
even ${.OBJDIR}).

Bruce