Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:22:14 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System doesn't dump

On 30/05/2013 15:02, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:41:38 am Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>> I have a number of actions that reliably panic the system, such as
>> performing shutdown -p (yes I'm booting into an inconsistent file
>> system every time). Both with my notebook and my workstation.
>>
>> However I cannot get the system to dump.
>>
>> dumpdir=/var/crash
>> and I've tried ada0s2b, /dev/ada0s2b, label/5swap, /dev/label/5swap and AUTO
>> for dumpdev to no avail.
>>
>> The swap partition is 16g, the machines have 8g RAM and there's plenty
>> of hard disk space available for /var/crash.
>>
>> I'm looking for that secret, undocumented trigger, that makes the
>> system dump if a panic occurs. Once upon a time dumping just worked
>> if the swap partition was large enough. I miss those olden days.
>
> Does /dev/dumpdev exist and point to your swap partition after booting?

# ll /dev/dumpdev
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    16B 18 Aug 14:42 /dev/dumpdev@ -> /dev/label/5swap
# ll /dev/label/5swap
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   0x72 18 Aug 14:42 /dev/label/5swap

Yes, looks like it. And it's a genuine swap partition:
> swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/label/5swap  16777212        0 16777212     0%

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?