Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:21:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        pw@SonetechCorp.Com (Paul Werkowski)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Full Duplex Sound Card

>     my driver supports many new "no name"16-bit PnP cards. Basically,
>     if you see a card which is advertised as "16-bit compatible "
>     and it is PnP, chances are that it works with my driver.
>     Also if you see references to WSS/MSS, that should be a
>     good indication. As well as the use of Crystal 423x, OPTI931, Yamaha
>     SA-2 ...
>
>     The only exception might be ESS cards which are not full duplex
>     anyways.
>
>         Cheers
>         Luigi
>
> Are the ESS chips supported in native mode or just
> Sound Blaster compatible mode? These suckers are showing
> up in a lot of notebook computers and it would be great
> to be able to access all features in 16-bit mode.

I am working on that, but I don't have a card so I cannot do the
testing, which is highly demotivating, being the ESS somewhat
different from other cards.

If someone wants to send me an ESS audio card, having a working driver
will be a matter of a couple of weeks. The GUS driver came out thanks
to a card kindly donated by ISI-East.

I would buy one if i could find it here, but since local stores do
not carry this card I should special order it, and believe me, it
is a big waste of time since most stores think that all audio cards
are the same and why don't I want a SoundBlaster(TM) anyways...

Also, realize that many ESS chips (688/1688) are half duplex, so
yes, they are better than nothing, but no more than that!

	Cheers
	Luigi