Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:56:04 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD user statistics

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 5:21 pm, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Are there any projects out there collecting data on numbers of FreeBSD
> users?  I'm interested in pretty much anything along those lines,
> including analogs to Fedora's "smolt" reporting software, the Linux
> Counter <http://counter.li.org/>, and so on.
>
> If not . . . is there any sense that such a project would be useful to
> the community?  I might consider getting at least a web-based
> self-reporting thing like the Linux Counter project set up, if that seems
> like something the community would want/need and doesn't already exist.
>
> What I'm really looking for, though, is any existing efforts to count
> FreeBSD users, even if such efforts are prone to error.

Hi Chad,

Checkout www.bsdstats.org. A very cool project to start tracking BSD usage.
Also, we've placed Google Analytics on www.pcbsd.org (and we should probably
add it to freebsd.org, too) and have interesting operating system stats from
there that we'll make public after a substantial amount of data is gathered.

best,
-matt