Date:      03 Jan 2000 03:35:11 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @Home DHCP Cable Modem Installation

"Kavi Tanna" <candirect@home.com> writes:

> 1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html
>
> My dhclient.conf file looks like this :
>
> #Defaults
>
> interface "de0" {
> send host-name "cr...";
> }

This should be like this:

interface "ed1" {
        send dhcp-client-identifier "CR103675-A";
}

It's the client-id that you want to send, not the host-name. (Make
substitutions for your interface name, and your client number).

> My rc.conf file has these important lines in it :
> ifconfig_de0="DHCP"

This is good.

> hostname "cr..."

This is not necessary.

> when i type in :
> # dhclient de0
> it says :
> null not found
> de0 not found
>
> what is wrong here?
> someone told me to make sure rc.conf has a network_interfaces="de0 10," line

That's "de0 lo0" (letter 'l' as opposed to number '1', and no
comma). Also, you don't have to set your hostname to that ugly
"crxxx..." thing.

> i have no idea what to do.

Are you sure that the NIC driver is loaded? What does "ifconfig -a"
say? Is there any mention of the card in "dmesg" output?
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who