Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:24:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling Kernels on remote machine & using 'wrong' versions

Hi All,

A quick question (which may have been better in questions- - but it's
kinda kernel related)...

I'm about to start writing a device driver to run under FreeBSD
2.2.5-Release - I have 2 machines, 1 very fast (P-Pro 233), and one very
slow (486-SX 33). The two are linked via NFS etc. To makes things even
more complex - the fast one is 2.2.2-Release and the slow one is
2.2.5-Release ;-)

Is there an easy way to Use the 'fast' machine to compile Kernels for the slow
machine (which is fairly quick at NFS) - if so - how? (for example the
slow machine appears as:

/home/phoenix/root
/home/phoenix/usr
/home/phoenix/usr2
/home/phoenix/var

Mounted on the Fast machine - is there some big global I can set to tell
the fast machine where to get all its sources from so that it will compile
2.2.5 Kernels? (i.e. using the /sys, /usr/src /usr/includes etc. from the
slow machine via NFS?)

- or -

Can I move all the /usr filesystem from the slow machine (phoenix)
physically to the fast machine - and have it compile kernels etc. from
there?

What I'm basically trying to do is have my cake and eat it - The hardware
the drivers for is on the slow machine, I want to keep my source either on
that machine (or the fast machine) - while using the fast one to crunch a
kernel - then spit it back to the slow machine for running etc...

Is this going to be easy? - or am I better either just moving the 2.2.2
machine up to 2.2.5 - or the 2.2.5 machine down to 2.2.2 (so they're all
running the same release?)

Final question - I accidentally booted the 2.2.5 system with a 2.2.2
kernel - it boots OK, and seems to run OK (yes, I can hear the screams of
'Noooohhh!!' from here) - but is it really that bad - considering I don't
really care about the fate of the slow 2.2.5 machine? - That way I can
keep all my stuff on the 2.2.2 machine (which is nicely, safely stable &
remote) - and just run the 2.2.5 on 2.2.2 kernels...

Sorry for the long post - theres probably a better way of explaining all
this, but I just can't find it ;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz