Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:14:28 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <mike@Reifenberger.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New ISDN driver

Michael Reifenberger writes:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> >> Well, doesn't "i4l_" indicate that this came from "ISDN4LINUX" ?
> >
> > If you "cat" all the files in "/sys/i4b" and search for the word "linux" or
> > "Linux" you will get some hits.
> >
> > So I suspect that some parts of the drivers in "/sys/i4b/layer1" are
> > derivatives of Linux. And I have got some hints about that too. So maybe we
> > should just drop support for some hardware, and stick with the chip-drivers
> > have written from scratch ? Else we might end up getting a bad rumor about
> > stealing code from Linux.
> >

> The occurance of [Ll]inux or l_* doesnt imply that these files are from linux
> .
> /sys/compat/linux/* files are stuffed with these letters.
> Usually they are for compatibility reasons.
> So its not reasonable to suspect any I4B files to be linux tainted.

Several drivers were developed after examining the Linux code, which
in these cases was the only form of documentation available. AVM in
particular is very bad about providing documentation to any developer
outside the Linux world! Been there, done that.

These drivers (some of which I wrote) are NOT clones of the Linux
drivers, so don't try to imply that they are, HPS.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde