Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:08:03 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freeing space on /usr

On 2002-03-10 16:51, Jolok wrote:
> hello:
>
> i just made xfree86-4.2.0 after a clean install of FreeBSD 4.5 with the
> ports collection and no x.  the make went well, but after 'make install', it
> cooks along for awhile, then i run out of space on my /usr slice.  i am
> running a 3.2 GB disk with s 1.4GB /usr slice--why is this happening?  I was
> under the impression that FreeBSD was fairly small.  What can i safely
> delete (or move) to make room for X?  How do I find the size of any
> particular directory?  Where (in the standard documentation) should i read
> about this?  I do read before i mail, but i haven't found any help yet.

Try the following commands:

	# cd /usr
	# du -sk *

This should show you the total size of every /usr subdirectory.
Look deeper in /usr subdirectories, and try to find out which parts of /usr
occupy most of the space you gave to it.

BTW, 1.4 GB is a *lot* of space.  I have the sources under /usr/src and a
buildworld that fills my /usr/obj right now, several ports installed in
/usr/local (including XFree86 version 4), and I haven't cleaned my
/usr/ports/distfiles in a while.  Yet I haven't reached 1.4 GB in /usr:

	hades:~$ df /usr
	Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/ad0s3f    4065262  1146320  2593722    31%    /usr

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/