Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:47:39 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   stdio and short file descriptors revisited

Four years or so ago I cleaned up some of the stdio internals as fallout from
running into problems with stdio using a short instead of an int to hold file
descriptors.  Back then I got sidetracked with attempting to make FILE opaque
and ended up never getting around to bumping _file from a short to an int.  I
recently ran back into the SHRT_MAX limit at work again and came up with a
patch to fix this.

To preserve the ABI, it is necessary to leave the existing short _file in
place and add a new int _file to the end of the FILE structure.  Also, for old
applications, the old _file (_ofile in the patch) must still be valid.  The
approach I have taken is to bump the symbol version for routines that create
FILE objects with a non-fake _file (fopen, fdopen, and freopen).  The old
FBSD_1.0 variants still fail if an fd is greater than SHRT_MAX (and thus
cannot be safely stored in _ofile).  The new FBSD_1.3 variants assign to both
_file and _ofile if the fd is less than SHRT_MAX.  I also changed fileno()
to no longer be an inline macro in <stdio.h> but to always be a function call
going forward.

If folks think this is ok, I'll hack up a modified version that hides _file
from outside consumers (rename it to _nfile or some such) and send it for a
ports-exp run before committing to make sure there aren't any 3rd party apps
accessing _file directly.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/stdio_file.patch

--
John Baldwin