Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:47:54 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Dixit, Viraj" <Viraj.Dixit@CityofPaloAlto.org>
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't find the Kernel

Hi--

On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Dixit, Viraj wrote:
> Got you name from the mailing list, looks like you have good knowledge
> of BSD, can you tell me how to fix my kernel issue. I had built Free
> BSD
> 7.0 system that worked fine for four days then I had to move my system
> to another place and the system halts at "can't find kernel"
> message. Do
> I have to rebuild the whole system, I have checked the loader.conf
> file,
> all looks fine. Thanks, Shaan

I'm happy to help out people on the mailing lists, at least when I
have time, but I'm less happy with the notion of people deciding ab
initio to mail me random tech support questions.

The normal way to resolve this would be to check whether the disk(s)
have been moved, whether some other system was installed which changed
the active partition, or something changed in the BIOS which would
change the order of device enumeration and cause loader to not find
the boot volume.  It's generally pretty easy to fix from the loader
prompt by doing an "ls" or "lsdev" (I forget exactly), or by running
the sysinstall util from a boot CD and re-writing the boot loader,
assuming that it can see the existing FreeBSD partitions on the disk.
It might be worth running fsck from a boot CD/rescue CD on the
filesystems on the hard drive, and then mounting them on /mnt one by
one and making sure they are sane....

Regards,
--
-Chuck