Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:33:50 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jason Helfman <jgh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for Authors / Vendors in ports

Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Erwin Lansing<erwin@freebsd.org>  wrote:

[...]

>> That sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm just a bit worried about
>> spreading the information over too many places, and would rather split
>> content from logic and add these to pkg-descr as well next to the
>> current WWW.  I know we're not consistent already with things like
>> COMMENT and LICENSE already in the Makefile, so won't ojbect too much to
>> where these end up.
>>
>> Erwin
>>

> With good ideas usually bloat is not too far behind. I think this is a
> great idea, however I think it would be
> worth considering a potential new file for this, that can be parsed without
> causing too much new data in existing
> files. Perhaps, a file named pkg-vendor. In this file, all sorts of
> information can be places, and parsed or used
> by our package infrastructure.
>
> -jgh

I don't think the new file is a good idea. It means more than 20 000
more files in /usr/ports, so all fs related operations will be slower
(svn checkout, portsnap updated and extract or even ports.tar.gz extract)
And more space will be wasted just for a few new short lines of text
(about 4kB for each file of size in tens of bytes)

Miroslav Lachman