Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:58:15 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any ideas at all about network problem?

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:15:22AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:27:34AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > [ ... bad throughput on bad NICs ... ]
> >
> > Mmmm. I use these RTL cheapo nics. I accept the fact they have a bad
> > reputation. However I have used them for some time, and they have
> > behaved impeccably. I have noticed no change in throughput on 5.0
> > either, and since I have downloaded loads off stuff which comes through
> > my firewall and then via the LAN to the 5.0 test machine I think I would
> > have noticed if it was slower than normal.
> > Having said that I have not checked the throughput, but then nothing has
> > happened to make me want to check it. I run 4-7 Stable updated at least
> > once a week, and the latest patched 5.0 from a few days ago.
>
> You may want to check it.  You can at least confirm whether his
> problem is his alone, or if it's shared by others.  I suspect
> that it will be specific to him, actually, given other factors
> (i.e. it might be specifically an rl0 <-> rl0 only problem, etc.).

Ok, next time I do some largish downloads I will collect the stats to
see if there is anything significant -- but as I say subjectively
everything feels just about the same.

> > The network also runs through a fairly cheapo switch.
>
> It could be a duplex problem, but none of that code is different
> from 4.7, and he says it works there, dso that's not going to be
> it.
>
> I expect that it's his specific cards from a specific vendor,
> and the only one who will be able to find the change that causes
> his problem is him (he's the only one complaining about it, at
> this point).

Yes I guess. They are pretty widely used despite their reputation !
The problem is the price differential between them and a super-whizzy
card is pretty phenomenal, at least here in Holland. Having said that if
I perceived it as a problem I would save my pennies up...

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson