Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 20:04:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to 2.1.5 or 2.2-SNAP?

: The options seem to be:

: 	a) using sup/make world for either 2.1.5 or 2.2-SNAP;

: 	b) getting the boot.flp for one of these and "upgrading"
: using ftp  (faster, but I'm not sure what an "upgrade" does);

: 	c) buying the cdrom for either of these and upgrading.

: Is backing up /etc the only essential protection one needs?

 Depends.... Decide how bad it would be if you lost the lot, and think
 of a friend with a nice tape drive, or other backup medium :)

: Is there any reason for 2.1.5 instead of the 2.2 June 12 SNAP?
: For example, will the various packages/ports from 2.1 continue
: to work?

 2.1.5-RELEASE is the end of the -stable tree (for 2.1) as far
 as i can gather.   2.2-current is the development tree.  Its under
 constant development.   I'd like to run -current here, but sometimes
 I have work to do, and the system _must_ work, so its -stable for
 me... :)

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  The internet is full, please try again in half an hour...