Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:39:30 +0000
From:      dicen@hooked.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   User ppp not hanging up modem.

User ppp not hanging up modem.

This seams to be a real annoying problem that a number of people have in
current and 2.2alpha. I have read some posts on usenet about it. In
relase 2.10 and 2.1.5 user ppp would hang up my modem on either a
timeout or when I did a close command. Now it does neither.

My hardware is an external SupraFaxModem 14.4k V.32bis connected on com2
with a DB25 cable. The modem will hangup fine in Windoze 95 but not in
current or 2.2alpha. Since my modem is externel I can just turn it off
to close a connect. I can't imagine what people do with internel modems.
My system is top of the line, no crappy motherboard here.

I just spent nearly 3 hours debuging user ppp. I can't find anything
wrong with it. In ppp/modem.c HangupModem is called with the right
argument value (flag) and as far as I can tell it is executing the code
in the if then else blocks. However, it does appear the code has been
changed (since the author) to make -dedicated ppp, which doesn't seam to
work when you turn it on. There are comments in the function /* XXX */.
I have sean that in the kernel code. Must be a call sign.

To close the modem connection HangupModem calls close() (of course) and
a number of termios routines. Man I hate termios. I haven't look in my
Advanced Programming in the .... (Stevens book), the bible yet to figure
out what they do. Have the libraries been touched? The termios stuff
could be bugged.

I need to add here that some peoples modems may be hanging up like they
should. According to the logs and my debugging, user ppp is closing the
ppp connection it just isn't hanging up the modem. If you have an Isp (I
don't, but I used to) that is nice enough to hangup it's modem then
yours will hangup too.

I feel that this is something critical. Users with internel modems will
not be able to terminate a connection without unpluging the modem cable
from the back of their computers.

dicen