Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 21:41:12 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Craig Shaver" <craig@progroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions? NT VS UNIX, NT SUCKS SOMETIMES

>> ><soapbox>
>> >I'm still trying to understand why people think they have to run NT.
>> >There are other options, like FreeBSD and OS/2.  A lot cheaper and not
>> >made by Microsoft.
>> ></soapbox>

>> Because NT is a very solid server OS.  It is tightly integrated with
>> the most popular application server software, Microsoft BackOffice.
>> It is *the* most stable OS I have run.  It scales well across multiple
>> CPUs, and has a very solid multi-processor and multi-threaded kernel.
>> NT 4.0 will have not only dynamically scheduled threads, but user-

>blah, blah, blah, on and on .... del ......

>Ok, NT is better than windog 3.1 and wingding95.  I am working on a
>project that uses NT 3.51 backends for a proprietary database that was
[...]
>The NT's work ok until something unforseen happens.  Back in April we

Everything can potentially have problems when something unforseen
happens.  It would be hard to anticipate something you can't forsee.

>had a power outage.  The Sparc rebooted automatically and all of the rc
>scripts started all of the background daemons and everything worked.  No
>humans needed.  The NT's sat there and refused to run anything until
>some user logged in!  Apparently there is no way to have a program
>automatically run unless you log in and then you have something in that
>little "start" window.

Apparently you can spout a lot of nonsense about a subject you don't
understand.  Creating "services" (NT's version of "daemons") is a very
well documented topic on the Microsoft Developer's Network.  That's
like telling you I don't think Unix can create processes because I
never bothered to find the "fork" man page.

>Nice design for a *server*!  I guess if  someone
>uses NT for a server and the power goes down in the middle of the night,
>then *someone* will have to be there to log in and start all of the server
>processes.  (snort, snicker, guffaw, ;^)

Doubtful, since it would be totally unnecessary for a properly written
and properly installed NT service.

>(There may be a fix for this in service pak 4! :^)

Generally, yes, that would be my first suggestion if you found a bug
in NT.  Microsoft releases publicly available fixes.  Gee, I wonder if
applying them would help at all.  Of course, they wouldn't help your
software restart if it wasn't written as a service, because that isn't
a bug.

For what it's worth, a large number of fixes in SP1 - SP4 were found
while stress-testing Exchange server.  I can indeed verify that the NT
guys take stability as serious as a heart attack.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.